Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Hex glitters are so fun

Nail varnish layering experiment nailwheel lacquer franken Lippmann dupe
You might remember when I was talking about my nail wheels, I showed you some polish layering I was experimenting with. A couple were inspired by Deborah Lippmann polishes, the master of hex glitters.
Lippman copy dupes Lady Sings the Blues Twaf Today was a Fairytale
Lippmann polishes are high-end and some are limited edition. Their formula is said to be excellent, even with regards to the normally difficult-to-handle chunky hex glitter. Me, I don't have a lot of cash and I'm willing to tackle something fiddly in exchange for saving the dosh on the polishes. So, instead of shelling out $40+ for the limited edition Lippman polish set that includes Lady Sings the Blues, a gawgeuss navy blue polish with silver hex glitters, I'm shamelessly copying the idea with my own polishes.
Debora Lipman nail polish copycat franken layeirng experiment
I don't mean to exactly dupe these polishes, because if I set out to do that I would be failing hard. This is just a look inspired by Lippmann, differing in several ways. For one, LSTB is a single polish, and the glitter tends to get drowned out in the base (from what I've heard). I have a layer of glitter on top of a layer of blue, so that isn't a problem. LSTB's base is also a navy jelly, while mine is a navy shimmer (Barry M nail paints Navy). Still, it captures just the look of Lady Sings the Blues that I like: The image of silver stars on a dark blue sky.
Saffron large silver glitter over Barry M Nail Paints in navy blue shimmer
My hex glitter was from a company by the name of Saffron, which produces a large number of glitter polishes and hex glitters in both silver and gold. I got them from Blush1, and they were a pound apiece. I've already ordered another silver one for frankening.
Saffron London large gold and silver hexagonal glitter polishes
The Saffron glitter is different from the Lippmann glitter in one other important way: Lippman chunky glitter polishes contain large hex glitter and small round glitter. These Saffron polishes have small round glitter, as well as large AND medium hexagons.
Closeup macro detail chunky glitter blue manicure Saffron London
After I did my nails, I decided to do a coordinating pedi. Warning: horrible pre-cleanup foot picture ahead. It's Barry M Red Black with gold glitter over it. I REALLY love this, it reminds me of Christmas presents. I'm thinking about doing it on my hands for my Christmas mani.
Matching mani pedi gold and silver blue and red glitter layers
The hex glitter application was a little challenging, and I think I laid it too thickly. I would have preferred the glitter to be a little more sparse. It'll get better with practice.
Chunky silver nail art glitter over deep dark royal blue
Of course, as much as I adore the chunky hexagonal glitter look, cleanup will be a biatch. Not looking forward to that...

Nailgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...