Friday, December 3, 2010

ULTRA BLINGIN' notd

This might be my favorite NOTD so far.
Rimmel Starlet with flakies topcoat nail polish
It's 2 coats of Rimmel 60 Seconds in 'Starlet', which is a pink glitter, with a layer of flakie on top. To be specific, it's Andrea Fulerton Gemstone Overcoat, which can be found at Superdrug. Though really, a flakie polish in a clear base is a flakie polish in a clear base. You could call it Hidden Treasure, Gosh Rainbow, Nubar 2010, etc., but they're basically the same with only minor, if any, differences.
Andrea Fullerton Superdrug overcoat nail polish look
Andrea Fulerton has the advantage over the other named flakie polishes in that it's easier to find. Larger Superdrug stores should have an Andrea Fulerton cosmetics stand, and the Gemstone Overcoat is in there. It's deceptively spendy at £5 a bottle because the bottle is only 5.5ml - making it half or even a third the size of normal polishes. Still, flakies are flakies and they are totally worth it, even if I go through this bottle fast.

Flakys nail varnish lacquer pink sparkles
Here's what Starlet looks like on its own:
Rimmel 60 second Starlet swatch pink glitter nails
It may be called 'starlet', but to me it feels more like a 'princess'. This is the kind of sparkly pink that really thrills the inner seven-year-old in me. It's really absolutely FUN. Even though the glitter is really dense, to my surprise the polish dried perfectly smooth. Plus, the Rimmel 60 Seconds line has an extra-wide brush that I really adore. I like this polish well enough on its own, but adding a layer of flakies over it makes it something really exceptional.

If you're not familiar with flakie polishes, here, I'll introduce you:
Andrea Fulerton flakie flakes polish over white nail lacquer
Superdrug Gemstone Overcoat topcoat hidden treasure over black nail varnish
The 'standard' way of making flakies pop is to layer them over black or other dark colors. And it definitely does make them pop, but vampy manicures usually aren't my thing. So instead, I layered it over a glitter polish to give the sparkliness more dimension.

And did it ever! WOW, it gave my nails an almost holo look. Of course it isn't a true holo, but that's really what it looked like. For the two days I wore this mani, I could not stop looking at it.
Closeup flaky glitter pink nail swatch
Of course, all good things must come to an end. By the end of the first day I was getting tip wear, and by the second day I was getting chips. The end of the second night I had a break, and that was the end of my gorgeous blingy mani, sadly. But for the short time I wore it, it was glorious.
Home manicure layering experiment iridescent opal flakes pink
Nailgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...