Thursday, December 2, 2010

Newsprint/Weather mani tutorial

Yesterday I posted about my weather mani, and I promised I would include a tutorial. There are other tutorials for newsprint nails, but as far as I know I'm the first to extend the idea to graphics as well as text.

Grab your newspaper and find something you want to transfer to your nails - small icons work best, which is why I chose the weather symbols. You could also try logos, pictures from advertisements, etc.
Newspaper clippings for newsprint nail art tutorial how to
First, paint your nails as normal. Use a lighter color - you can use a gray newspaper-colored polish if you like, but really any light color will do.
Skittle manicure fun colourful nails
After your polish has dried, gather your cuttings. Your newspaper should be cut into strips a little larger than your nail. Pour some alcohol into a dish or cup, dip a finger into the alcohol for a few seconds, place a strip onto your nail and press down for a good 15-30 seconds. You can use whatever kind of alcohol you have around - vodka and isopropyl alcohol both work.
Tools for newsprint manicure vodka alcohol paper clippings
I had some trouble with the ink adhering when I tried it, and I'm not exactly sure why - my nails had been dry a couple hours beforehand, but then I painted over them with a top coat and then, things went just fine. It was either the formula of the polish or the fact that my nails had fully dried that made the ink not stick - does anyone else have any insight on this?
Raincloud sunshine nails nail art manicure
Peel the paper back slowly (check a corner first to make sure the ink has transferred), and you should have a design on your nails! Put on a topcoat so the ink doesn't rub off, clean up as normal, and you're done!
Finished tutorial skittle weather news manicure tips
Nailgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...