Thursday, December 9, 2010

Vampy nubbins

Since I had a break the other night while wearing my super-sparkly polish, I decided it was time to nubbinize. I've been growing my nails out ever since I got into polish, really enjoying keeping them as long as I could stand, but it couldn't last forever. Long nails get brittle and break, especially if you're always running into things like I am. So, for now, I have cut my nails super-short.
Vampy nubbins short dark red nails
To soften the blow of the nubbinization, I brought out one of my untrieds - Barry M Nail Paint in Red Black. Dark vampy polishes are just the thing for short nails, so I'd been told. And now I believe it!

Normally I'm intimidated by dark polishes - not so now. I love it. The name, Red Black, is obviously a take-off of Chanel's Rouge Noir, especially since Barry M has a few other shades that are dupes of or inspired by other Chanel colors - Dusky Mauve is a perfect dupe of Paradoxal, and Mint Green is similar to Chanel Jade (though missing Jade's shimmer). The newly released Mushroom also looks similar to Particuliere, though I haven't seen any comparisons to judge whether it's as dead-on as Dusky Mauve is.
Deep dark black red Barry M dupe of Chanel Rouge Noirr
Dark polishes have their pitfalls - good cleanup is a must. I used the slimline technique I read about at All Lacquered Up, to keep my nails from looking too stubby while they're short. My application wasn't perfect, but I think the illusion still works to some extent.
Rogue Noir vamp polish blackish red nail varnish
Most of the Barry M polishes I've tried so far have been awesome one-coaters - this one wasn't quite, but close. You get a nice dark red with one coat, but for the vampish bottle color you need two. Here's a comparison of one coat vs two.
Barry M one two coat opacity comparison Red Black Rouge Noir
(Sorry for the really rubbish pic... I haven't figured out how to take pictures of both my hands at once.)

So... That's how I learned to stop worrying and love the nubbins. :) I will be growing them out though...

Nailgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...